Saturday, October 23, 2010

Parent Teacher Conferences: A time to cry?

Last Tuesday and Wednesday were Parent Teacher Conferences. They are often very...unpredictable, uninspiring...but often a great time to chat it up with other teachers. :) I only wish more parents would come in and be curious about how their students are doing.

But I had a moment - an amazing moment - with one of my parents. It was unexpected. Her student was doing well but for one missing assignment, and that was neither here nor there (which I told her). All he had to do was complete the missing assignment and his grade would be fine.

I began talking off-handedly about the student's participation in class...the way he had been sharing about some personal experiences. His mother began to cry. When I questioned why, she said that he had never spoken in class before. Ever.

Those are the days I love teaching...even more than usual.

(I apologize for my unadulterated use of ellipses in my writing. I just love them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment