Friday, October 29, 2010

If you really knew me...

Well, after a week of aphorisms, inferences and works cited, I am finally sitting down to do some thinking about this week's classes. On my way to pick up my always perky 5 year old from school, I picked up a folder of student writing.

We did a writing assignment in class akin to the MTV show - I do have to say that I have been using this particular writing assignment for several years, so maybe MTV owes me some money. :) The writing assignment is "If you really knew me..." and then students fill in the rest.

I required the students to write one page. They could use bullet points if they wanted, but they had to fill a page. I picked up the pile of papers expecting lots of "If you really knew me you would know I have a really cute boyfriend," and I actually got quite the opposite.

For the sake of privacy, I am not going to quote these papers, but let's just say many of the topics included suicide, loneliness, divorce, low self esteem, racism, missing lost parents, failed friendships/relationships...and the list goes on and on and on...

I tell my students (as I make a big circle with my arms) that I wish I could wrap my arms around the entire classroom like a lasso and take them all home.

In order to be a better teacher, I have to be willing to listen and learn from those I teach.

I'm learning, guys. And I'm listening.

2 comments:

  1. sometimes I wish I could sit them all down and show them just a small glimpse of who they could be if they just let go of all the junk and believed in themselves a little more. If they could just see for a moment that nothing is too big, or too bad, or too good even. That no ONE moments makes you or breaks you. But I suppose to show someone else that you have to know it yourself...and therein lies the conundrum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, you say it so well. I think you would be a fantastic teacher. Wait - you already are. :)

    ReplyDelete