Friday, October 15, 2010

Ben Franklin and the Virtuous Juniors

So, on to Ben Franklin and his Autobiography. I actually enjoy this because we talk about the 13 virtues he attempted to track and implement into his life.

The first day they partnered up to create modern day definitions of virtues. They really felt I was making them think too much (They actually used these words). The next day I presented them with the arduous task of picking their own virtue and tracking it. First we went over the virtues...I will say that Chastity presented quite the conversation...but a couple of my kids really opened up and shared some deep stuff with the class.

Besides the individual virtue tracking, I grouped the students and gave them a group virtue. For that particular virtue, each group will create a photograph and a skit dealing with that virute, accurately portraying what Ben Franklin was trying to accomplish, but with a modern twist.

Today one group brought dirt in a jar. Before I knew it, ALL OF THEM were dirty for their photograph. I guessed (incorrectly) that their group virtue was CLEANLINESS, but I guess I will  be surprised when I see the finished product. I'm still stuck on the dirt in a jar part (it was a large, restaurant sized salt shaker - I don't know if they salted themselves with the dirt or not).

The point was, they were engaged. I like that part.

I will be posting their virtue skits after they are due Oct. 26.

No comments:

Post a Comment